Once a full blown construction camp, this is where the people who built the road stayed during it’s grading and construction.
The road was a constant work in progress. As cars got faster, more travelers passed through the road and more accidents happened, it was made pretty clear there was work to do. The road was originally oiled dirt but as traffic increased, the surface did not fare well. In 1919, the California Highway Commission went ahead with paving The Ridge Route in concrete.
The first stretch on concrete was laid in February 1919 and the newly paved road opened in November 1919… a pretty impressive feat!
Now, the road was struggling to keep up with the traffic and underwent realignments and improvements (until it was bypassed by the Ridge Route Alternate) with the idea of making the road safer and more efficient.
State employees who worked on the road – both originally and during the improvements, stayed here at the Liebre State Maintenance Camp, along with their mules, horses and equipment! It’s still used today to store heavy equipment on occasion. Identified as a large turnout on the West side of the road, across from Forestry Road 7N23.